Being asked to be in a wedding party is great. The bride having to buy you the largest size the store offers and still having it not fit you, not so great. I mean, I knew I wasn't in an ideal form (when have I ever been) but having 8+ inches of it face you like that is only so much fun. The dress was the final kick in the over sized gut to get me to take some action and consider things on a deeper level.
For the majority of my life I've been overweight. I can't say I've ever been one of those people who tries to fade into the surroundings because of my weight, but I've also never been one of those people who is proud to be out of shape; that just seems so strange. At the same time I've never cared enough to try and take permanent action. I was comfortable the way I was. While sure it did kind of suck having to be the funny, smart, quick-tongued and/or dateless one in my group of friends, I didn't have to push myself to exercise or worry about what I ate. In addition, I finally got married and because I have such a wonderful husband who tells me I look good when I've been sick in bed for three days and haven't showered since I got into said bed (yeah, TMI, sorry) I figured. "Well, why worry?"
To give some reason behind my lack of desire to make drastic changes.. I've never been one of those people who drinks soft drinks a lot or ate white bread or despised fruits and vegetables. To the contrary, my mother has said numerous times she was lucky to have kids who never argued about eating vegetables (unless is was my brother and Lima beans). I prefer wheat bread to white bread, and despite my love affair with red meat, I eat pretty healthy stuff. Too much of it in certain circumstances, but I ate pretty well. But then a few things began to run through my head.
1) Chances are if you're reading this blog you know my family pretty well so it comes as no surprise that in January of 2009 my mom had a triple bypass. I never knew my mom had heart problems, much less problems that serious, so it came as quite the shock. My mom eats the same way I do! We exercise about the same amount! And while neither of us could be considered "tall and statuesque" (despite our running jokes of being so) our profiles didn't mimic beach balls either. How could something so serious happen to my mom who in my mind wasn't in bad shape?
2) In the past year it seems like every few weeks I find out another friend/family member/random person from the mission, ward or school is pregnant. While I know Justin and I don't plan on having kids in the very near future, the goal is there eventually. However, it turns out, I have some female issues and need to take medicine so that eventually I can have kids. I'm not throwing myself a pity party. In fact, I'm kicking myself because it turns out that being overweight exacerbates this condition. Adding to this, a girl I knew in high school has been putting up the typical "pregnancy profile" pictures on Facebook and I thought, "If she wasn't holding her stomach like a pregnant woman I would have never guessed she was pregnant.." Sad thing is she was 8 months along in the picture! I really don't want to be like that! When I'm pregnant, I want people to be able to tell I'm pregnant!
With thoughts of heart disease and pregnancy looming over my mind I decided to actually try making a new year's resolution (I've honestly never tried to make one). And, as luck would have it, my office also decided to start a "Biggest Loser" challenge around the middle of January.
Growing up I cannot count how many weight loss/health books I saw around the house. While I never actually read any of them, I remember my mom suggesting one to me not too long ago. It was called You: On A Diet. I went to Wal-Mart and thought I'd pick it up to see if it said anything interesting. All I can say is "WOW". This book has really changed my vision of things.

The book goes into detail of how hormones in your brain effect your appetite, what exactly happens with fat stored in your body and other interesting things. For instance, did you know that sugar also effects your veins? Maybe I'm the last one to hear it, but I found what they said quite interesting. In addition it pushed me to straighten up on my eating and exercise habits and sign up at a gym (I've never been one to exercise at home; for some reason I need the structure of a gym).
I'm proud to say that I'm the only person who has lost consecutively at work, totalling almost 10 lbs. I realize this isn't a huge amount, but it's a start. I've also become a regular at my gym by making sure I don't skip two days consecutively (I take off Sunday and normally a day during the week). It's worked out pretty well so far. The goal though isn't so much about losing a lot of weight as much as it's about not having health problems; being thinner is only an added bonus. So bring it on, bridesmaid dress!
How about you? Have you made a conscious effort to lose weight? What helped you stay motivated?

4 comments:
i joined weight watchers after i had sophie and i LOVE it. weight has always been a struggle for me because 1.) i'm inherently lazy and 2.) i have a major sweet tooth. having kids has packed on more pounds than i would like and what what i really like about weight watchers is the outside accountability as well as the fact that i feel like it's a true lifestyle change and not just a diet (as cheesy as that sounds). i just think it approaches weight loss and maintenance in a very healthy and balanced way.
anyway, that's my 2 cents. :) way to go on losing 10 pounds already! that's awesome.
I have also always struggled with this and am quite lazy. Last spring I had some success because I was forced into it. First, I knew I'd have to wear a bathing suit for the first time in decades when we went on our Spain trip. Second, I signed up for a half marathon and knew I would die unless I trained. A race has always been a really good way for David and I to make physical goals. One more thing, maybe this is cheesy, but Heavenly help is always good. I have learned God is very cognizant of our struggles and is willing to help in all aspects of our lives. Physical struggles can be especially draining. Physical and spiritual are extremely connected, but focusing on one can be detrimental. Heaven knows I am guilty of this! Keep up the good work, love ya woman!
Losing 10 pounds already is awesome, way to go Megan! I remember after my freshman year i got really insecure because i had gained some freshman weight, not to mention it seemed like every girl in provo is super skinny. anyway, I decided to join gold's gym with a roommate. I guess I have 2 suggestions for losing weight/maintaining a good weight. The first is that it has to be a lifestyle change, you can't just do some dumb diet or hit the gym really hard everyday for a little while. You have to find a balance that works and that you can incorporate the rest of your life. Second, when it comes to working out, you really have to find something you enjoy otherwise there will come a point when you have no motivation. For me it was kickboxing and dance classes. So find yourself a hip hop class because we all know you've got an inner black girl in you too! :) Or you could always pick up a Richard Simmons video (remember we would watch those in your garage at your old house?? haha those were the good ole days) Anyway, sorry this has become a novel but congrats on wanting to get healthier and actually doing something about it!
Great job! It's hard to stay motivated. Switching up your workout routine or taking different classes will help you continue to workout and not get bored. Diet is a huge part of losing weight. Since you've lost 10 lbs (awesome by the way) I'm sure you have made changes in your diet. Let me know if you need a workout routine or have questions. I would be happy to help out! You're doing great though so just keep it going!!
Post a Comment