The name discussion has begun. While I, like most women I'm guessing, have had names I've "picked out" for my kids since I was 5, I am also doing my best to involve Justin in the process. He hasn't really had a lot of suggestions so I've just been throwing random and not-so-random names out at him (Cletus and Hezekiah being two of the most recent). This is all fun and such, but the thing is, I really want my kid's name to have meaning behind it; not just something I think is cute or nice sounding. I mean, yes, I want I want to like the sound of the name and I don't want my kid to hate the choice, but I am kind of big into naming my kid after fictional or real life characters that have left an impression on me. Easily enough, Justin and I have already decided that if we have a girl her name will be Anne.
 |
| With an "E" of course. |
But what about boy names? While I have my favorite, I am a little hesitant to share it. Mainly because Justin is not set on it yet and I don't want to seem pushy about it. But he's slowly coming around to it now that he's finally reading
the book the name came from and realizing the character is a truly exemplary one. But like I said, I don't want to
make him agree with me (although I will use manipulation if necessary. Just kidding. Kind of... ). Also, I am of the opinion that maybe when we first see the baby he may not be a _____ but something else. Although, to be honest, when I first saw that he was a he, my first thought was, "Little
(one of the names below)" So I guess that at this point it's best to come up with a list of names. Here's a pictoral list of our my favorites and their namesakes. And yes, I realize these names are different...
 |
| Timothy (yeah, that's the best picture I could find....) |
 |
William (the character's last name is even perfect!) |
 |
| Calvin (actually, this is a family name. But I don't have a picture of those Calvins. Plus, I have a feeling our kid may be like this Calvin). |
 |
Harrison (after Justin's maternal grandpa who is pretty awesome as well as.....)
|
What do you think? How have you chosen names for your kids (whether you have any yet or are like me and chose lists of names before having any)?
3 comments:
The name game is so hard! Trying to agree between the two of you, something that has meaning to you both, something that he/she might like...I think your choices are fun.
i TOTALLY have always wanted to use the name atticus! it's my favorite book and i'm like you in that i want my kids' names to have meaning. alex would have been atticus alexander if i hadn't decided to name his middle name after my cousin who died instead. then again, i'm not sure how on board scott ever was with the whole atticus thing... hahahaha. he probably would have agreed to it as a middle name. i really like all of your choices, though. can't wait to hear what the real deal is!
We chose our daughters name by going through a baby name book. This took a period of time not just a couple days. I made out a list of all the ones I liked (and it was a long list). He added any that he liked. Then, we whittled it down - if we didn't agree than it was scratched. We picked 25 of our favorites and then we each had to pick our own 5 separately. We took that list and chose 5 of them together; then went down to 3. We called our moms and told them the 3 names. They both liked different ones and hated one of them. So we chose the name that they both hated (they will never admit to not liking now).
Post a Comment