Thursday, March 12, 2009

Update 20/20

      Recently I’ve been working with a credit union in the area called Security Services Federal Credit Union doing data-entry/IT work. It’s really hard to describe. Basically we’re testing their new online banking programs to make sure there are no major glitches. However, this has temporarily changed as the system has been down for the last week, and so, I’ve been spending my days killing time online. As much fun as it seems it could be, it’s not too enthralling. But it’s all good, I figure I can use this time to catch up on some stuff since I update my blog about as often as I dye my hair (that’s actually a lie- I dye my hair more often).

       Life’s been pretty good. Following our return from Christmas/New Years trips to Houston and New Orleans (respectively), I began to seriously search for a job. While it took a while, and this job is only a temporary position lasting until the middle or end of May (depending on when we finish testing everything), I am grateful for the work I’ve been able to find. The people here are pretty nice and (as Justin likes to call them) typical computer nerds. Hey- I like it!

      About a week after we got home from our holiday vacation, we were called to serve in the nursery. Why is this such a common calling for newly married couples? What’s the purpose of it- to encourage or discourage from having kids soon? What is your opinion? Justin and I LOVE our calling. We have 8 kids in our group, and while they are a bit wild (the room is probably 5 ft by 12ft. Yeah.. ), they’re sweet kids. There are the twins- Jackson and Lexus (yeah.. We just call her Lexie) who are a handful. Jackson cried a lot in the beginning and Justin has given Lexie the nickname of Godzilla (horrible as it is) due to her throwing of chairs and such during play time. But they’re warming up to us and really aren’t that bad if you give them enough attention. Then there is Lincoln. He reminds me of Elijah, very energetic, cute blond boy. I noticed that he’s been playing with baby dolls recently (I think it’s normal given the fact that his mom just had a baby), but the other Sunday he made us laugh when he tried to breast feed the baby he was playing with. He was very confused when we laughed. Then there is Micaela. She has taken the longest to warm up to us because he parents were the nursery leaders before us, so it’s understandable. Luckily we’ve gotten to be good friends with her parents so we go over there often enough for her not to get scared by us (not scared of ME.. Justin still terrifies her). We’re still amazed at the fact that she can tell you the names of all the states and their capitals- and she hasn’t turned 2 yet. There is Scotty. Scotty’s parents are students at BYU-Idaho who are down for the semester doing an internship here. His parents happen to both be from here, so they live with his mom’s parents. I think that because he lives in a home where there are lots of adults, he listens to us. He’s a good kid. The typical little boy who likes to beat up the play-doh with his wooden rolling pin. There is also Will. He’s a really cute kid. I feel bad for him because his parents are in law school and medical school and so I wonder how much he gets to see them. Every Sunday that his dad brings him in he cries. Last Sunday he wanted to make me cry there were so many tears. He literally hung his head down above the little table with their play-doh and the tears formed a little puddle on the table. He reminds me of my brother Andrew a lot though. He looks A LOT like Andrew did when he was little; they even have similar smiles; it’s great. But he’s happy once he can climb on anything or play with the trains or cars during play time. Then there are (and we’re guilty of it, sorry) Justin and my favorites- Carly and Clark. Carly came into nursery the same week we did and is Justin’s pet. Once we combine with the older class she climbs up on Justin’s lap and stays there during singing and playing time. Justin calls her his little buddy. My little buddy is Clark. Micaela has the biggest crush on him. When we sing “I Love to See the Temple” during singing time she holds his arm and sings to him. She also will randomly grab him and hug him. I don’t blame her. He is TOO CUTE! He’s not very tall; he’s got chubby baby cheeks and a funny personality. He laughs at anything and likes to sing and do hand motions. Plus he’s really good at pointing out certain animals and stuff. I just love the kid. But enough gushing about the kids… Every week there’s something funny to share about them.

       We bought a Wii about a month ago after Justin got a grant. While I feel guilty for having spent the money, it’s been A LOT of fun. We got the Rock Band2 pack and within 2 weeks Justin and I got to the end where you’re playing way too much no-name heavy metal.. We’ve taken a break since then… It’s not encouraging when you’re playing songs you’ve never heard of. But we also got a game called Order Up! which is GREAT! It’s not very hard, but it’s fun and very funny with some of its jokes. Basically you play a chef that gets dropped from a plane and lands on an island called PortAbello. You work your way up the food chain by cooking at different restaurants and stuff. The characters are really funny and yeah.. It made me want to get a few more cooking games, but unfortunately they’ve all been pretty lame since.






We've also invested in a Wii Fit and I LOVE IT! It’s great to have something you can do right there despite the cold rain (as it’s been these last few days). Maybe it’s an indication that I’m pathetically out of shape, but I can break a sweat when I do several games consecutively. That plus it’s a good quick pickup in the mornings.

 

Well, it’s 5 and I’m ready to go home. Have a good one!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

glad to see you're alive and blogging! so they put me in nursery when we first moved to washington too! the only bummer was feeling kind of isolated and not getting to know many people. but it definitely was fun, i'd always have fun stories to share with andrew every week. i'm gonna have to look into "order up" that sounds like a lot of fun to me. have fun being bored on the internet at work! im expecting lots of posting!! :)

hillary and britton said...

Megan! Thanks for the update-it is about time that you blogged! Your calling sounds fun. I was in Primary when I was first married and so I helped out in the nursery. I got traumatized when a little boy threw a shoe at my head and Britton was worried that I was scared out of having kids;) not really, but still it was a bit frightening. Your own children are always the best. The Wii is very cool-wish we had one! Much love.