

Last weekend Justin and I cashed in on one of our Christmas presents from his parents to attend the concert of our choice at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. While the concert I most wanted to go to was Brad Paisley (I never thought I’d really like country but Justin got me into a few people), it was a Thursday evening and I needed to work as much as possible last week. So we took up the Saturday choice- Josh Turner.

I only know a few of his songs, but I like them- even if some of them are more country/Christian. I have to say, the concert was GREAT! I really like it because his wife is the keyboardist for his group and he and his band have a good sense of humor when the perform. When introducing his wife (while introducing the whole band) he said, “No, she’s not fat. She’s pregnant.. Granted I don’t know how that happened…. All we do is kiss.” Justin and I laughed but the people in the stadium didn’t get it I guess because not a lot of people laughed. But yes- I liked his concert. Granted, the entire experience was interesting to say the least….
This was the first rodeo or anything like it that I’ve really attended and apparently the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is the largest Livestock Show and Rodeo in the world. It’s for a good cause- helping Houston area schools—so I was glad to know that it was staffed by volunteers and that the money spent there went to a good purpose. Because the rodeo is such a huge event a lot of times people will need to park a few blocks away and take buses to the arenas, so this is what we did since it was the cheapest option and it would be better to ride in the bus than to walk in the drizzle or the day. In the bus they show videos about the rodeo to get you excited and such for the upcoming events. The opening shot was on a man going bareback on a bucking bronco. Now, I’ve always been afraid that I’m a stubborn snob when it comes to things but I could help but think, “What the heck am I doing here?? I’m too smart for this!” I was surrounded by 10-gallon hats and mullets… and the men were even worse! Okay, that was mean. Sorry. Not everyone was like that.
This was the first rodeo or anything like it that I’ve really attended and apparently the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is the largest Livestock Show and Rodeo in the world. It’s for a good cause- helping Houston area schools—so I was glad to know that it was staffed by volunteers and that the money spent there went to a good purpose. Because the rodeo is such a huge event a lot of times people will need to park a few blocks away and take buses to the arenas, so this is what we did since it was the cheapest option and it would be better to ride in the bus than to walk in the drizzle or the day. In the bus they show videos about the rodeo to get you excited and such for the upcoming events. The opening shot was on a man going bareback on a bucking bronco. Now, I’ve always been afraid that I’m a stubborn snob when it comes to things but I could help but think, “What the heck am I doing here?? I’m too smart for this!” I was surrounded by 10-gallon hats and mullets… and the men were even worse! Okay, that was mean. Sorry. Not everyone was like that.
When we got off of the bus the volunteers were actually really nice. Justin’s family goes to the rodeo at least once a year and they have a tradition to buy these cinnamon rolls that are about the size of the average human hand (open- not in a fist). So we walked around looking at different things and Justin decided it was time for me to experience my first up-close experience with livestock. So we entered the building where they were. For a little background information I’m going to mention a few things. Every Christmas Justin’s family goes to a condo they have in a ski-resort town named Crested Butte in Colorado. During the drive up there they pass through several farming towns and ranches. Apparently Justin’s mom and sister have a love for the smell of ranches and cows so they’ll roll down the windows to get the full effect. I think that part of the reason they go to the livestock show is because they love the smell so much. I’m glad they weren’t with us that day because I started dry heaving when we entered the building. My loving husband didn’t make me stay in there for very long (which I am grateful for). I’m sad to admit I am a city girl and don’t see that changing. Luckily the animals weren’t actually there when we got to the back area where they were supposed to be- heaven knows how strong it would have smelled. After a few minutes in this building we decided to go to the rodeo so I could experience a rodeo up close.
All I can say is WOW! There were points when I thought, “Why would anyone in their right mind do this?” and other times when I thought it was kind of neat. I think it kind of awakened my inner animals-rights self because some of the events I didn’t like (team roping and calf-wrestling and such). I felt my mind was going numb from watching these events so we got up and walked around and went back in for the Chuck Wagon racing which was neat as well as the Calf Scramble where members of local FFA groups tried to tie a calf in order to get money for their group to buy a calf to later sell. But my favorite event of the evening was a new event they added this year called “Mutton Bustin’”.

Mutton Bustin’ is where ten kids between the ages of 4 and 6 compete to ride mutton across a stretch of the field for the longest amount of time. For the most part, the kids fell off once the mutton was let out of its cage, but one kid (a little 4 year old) was able to ride it until almost the end. It was great. Some kids cried or were sad after they finished, but most of them hammed it up and raised their arms to receive their cheers and stuff. It was REALLY funny.
After the concert we walked around some more and found a place that sold chocolate covered CHEESECAKE ON A STICK! Yeah, it was weird, but tasted DELICIOUS! They just had a regular cheesecake that they sliced up and dipped in chocolate similar to the chocolate at Dairy Queen that freezes really quickly. In addition they sold chocolate covered strawberries on a stick. I’ll admit that Justin and I bought one of each and enjoyed it while looking at acts that’ve performed at the rodeo over the rears. I hope this hasn’t come across and condescending to those who enjoy rodeos- it’s just not something I’ve ever experienced. I guess it’s just part of living in Texas? I know I won’t be here for the rest of my life so I should live it up while I can. Who else can say they’ve seen 4 year olds race across a field on muttons?

4 comments:
ok, first of all amen to the outsourcing thing. i totally agree with you. and second of all, that josh turner concert sounded like a lot of fun...i think he has a really cool voice and catchy music. sounds like maybe you wont be a city girl for much longer :)
Megan you make me laugh! Thanks for sharing your 'country experience' :)
Hi! I’m the Community Manager of Ruba.com. We’re building a website to highlight some of the most interesting places travelers around the world have discovered. We’ve read hundreds of blogs about Houston and we think that this post is awesome! We’d love to highlight excerpts from your blog (assuming it’s OK with you of course) and to discuss other ways of tapping into your expertise if you are interested. I’m at erin[at]ruba.com.
Thanks! :)
Oh the girls and I would LOVE to see Josh Turner!! We could even sing along to most of his songs~much to Jeremy's chagrin I bet even HE knows some of the songs too~lol!!!
Post a Comment