It's kind of weird the way disliking your home immensely can have on you. Normally we don't eat out very much and I enjoy just staying home doing whatever, but I've honestly gotten to the point where we've eatten out more than our fair share this week and the only room I want to be in is the bedroom because it's the only room where I haven't seen something crawling. I know, I'm complaining a lot.. Sorry. But it's even begun to affect my sleeping pattern.. Normally we stay up until about 10. I wake up around 6:15 and things are good. But for some reason today I went to bed at 5 pm and woke up at 1 am. Yikes! And we've got nursery! Oh well. There are worse things- there's always a Sunday nap... But yeah. Okay, enough griping. I've got happier things to share.
The apartment is a smidge smaller (I think the only place it's smaller is in regards to closets- we have no pantry and instead of two large walk-in closets in the bedroom we have one smaller one to share), but that building in the complex burned down a little while ago, so they've rebuilt everything and it's entirely new, so I'm okay with the trade-off. That plus it's about 5 minutes from my work. Granted, Justin and I just joined a gym (Paychex has a deal with Bally's Total Fitness and I'm aching to lose weight) which is in the other direction from work, but yeah.. I'm happy. I'm just ready to get rid of the bugs!
April 22nd I started a new job with Paychex. Anyone who knows my family knows my mom worked there for about 12 years and really liked it there until that whole Hurricane Katrina thing brought her office up to Baton Rouge. Granted, she loves working for the Church more, but yeah. So for those who don't know what Paychex is, it's an outsourcing company for smaller businesses. We handle payroll, human resources and other items for smaller companies. I particularly work with payroll so I've been talking with smaller companies in the San Antonio and Austin area dealing with their payroll and taxes. It's actually pretty fun. For the first few weeks of the job they don't let you take payroll because there's a lot to learn- I had to read and take a bunch of quizzes regarding federal tax laws (luckily Texas doesn't have a State Income Tax so I don't have to worry about that too much). After the first 3 weeks they sent me to the headquarters in Rochester, NY for two weeks to what they call "The University of Paychex". Basically from 8-5 we learned about the application we use to take payroll, how we would figure it out manually (lots of little equation stuff) and then A LOT more about tax laws. But luckily I think I absorbed more from the 300 paged book at my branch, because a lot of it seemed like a review to just cement it into my head. Every Wednesday and Friday we had quizzes and tests- the final being held the second Friday determined whether or not we kept our job actually-- and every night and the weekend in between we had homework. It really wasn't that bad for me though.
In my class there were 3 people (normally a class has about 30, but because of the economy the company's been on a hiring freeze and they've just started using a new system so we're the first ones to learn it; it's kind of fun), a girl from Hoboken, NJ and a guy from Tulsa, OK. It's kind of funny how they kind of fit my mind's stereotype concerning people from those areas, but at the same time were a little different from what I expected. There was also another girl who was there for two weeks by herself learning the old system who stayed at our hotel and rode with us from work. She was from Las Vegas and wow... After the first day of her I had a headache (I'm completely serious). They were all pretty nice people (even if our personalities didn't exactly mesh) and since they tended to go out drinking instead of doing homework in the evenings I was left to my own devices which included talk to Justin on the phone, watching FoodTV and HGTV (we don't have cable at home) and occassionaly exercising. Overall I think it paid off because I was the "valedictorian" of the class.. Hahahaha
Justin came up the weekend between the two weeks (it was his birthday the 14th and my mom thought it would be a nice present). It was a lot of fun because we rented a car and went to visit sites in the area (Niagara Falls was a little more than an hour away and Palmyra, NY was only about 20 minutes from the hotel where we stayed). I'll post pictures in my next entry. But I felt lucky in a weird sense because his flight out of Rochester was cancelled so he got to stay an extra night. I was happy!
After the test on Friday I flew back home to San Antonio only to get into the car and drive to Justin's parents' house in Houston (technically in a place called Magnolia just north of Houston where they just built a beautiful home). It was a really fun weekend hanging out with his entire family (his brothers Jeff and Jon came with their families and we just hung out around the house for the weekend).
Overall, things have been going really well for us. On Friday the 29th we celebrated our 6 month anniversary (I know, not a big thing, but we like celebrating) so we went to a Benihana knock-off called Osaka which is way cheaper, less crowded and in my opinion more fun. I just have to say how grateful I am for Justin. He is the biggest blessing in my life. I'm grateful for his patience and love. It was weird because my roommate in Rochester (the girl from NJ) kept saying how lonely she was without her boyfriend. I can understand that. At first I was like, "I'm cool, I'm fine being here by myself." But when I saw Justin I realized how much I missed him and was SO GLAD he was there. I know I've always appreciated him, but I don't think I realized until then how incredibly important he was to me (I hope that doesn't make me sound like a horrible wife. I just tend to be someone who's completely fine being alone and who sometimes prefers it). But Justin is by far my best friend. As much as I love my family and as much as I love my close friends, I couldn't imagine doing anything really fun, exciting or imporatnt without him.

No comments:
Post a Comment