Sunday, August 9, 2009

Travelling, swine flu and the like....


Hello, hello, hello...

Well, I'm determined NOT to take a nap this fine Sunday afternoon and have resorted to updating the old blog... I figure I've read a little, and subjected Justin to Steel Magnolias, so the next best productive thing would be to either update my blog or soak in the bathtub. Seeing as the latter would probably put me to sleep (I am my mother's daughter after all), I figure the blog was the best idea.. So where to begin.. How about since last time?Since the last entry we've been back to NOLA with a few friends, gone to Houston for a friend of Justin's homecoming talk, and found out we had the swine flu. So to start from the beginning...

Every other week I have shorter lunches so that on Fridays I get off early. The weekend of Friday the 17th Justin and I took our good friends Regent and James Payne down to NOLA. Regent lived there for several years growing up and James' parents lived there for a little while before he was born. It was kind of a last minute thing, but a lot of fun. We visited the Mardi Gras museum, ate delicious food, walked around downtown and just enjoyed being home/on vacation. Below are some pictures from the trip...


Regent trying on masks in a souvenir shop.

Regent avoiding the bathroom in the Mardi Gras museum..
(Despite the façade, it was actually a nice, clean restroom)

Justin attempting to eat the kingcake off the wall....


James and Regent striking a pose at the Mardi Gras museum entrance.


Enjoying the delicacies of Sal's Sno-Ball Stand...

The next weekend we headed back to Houston for the homecoming of Justin's friend Stefan. It was the first time I met him and he was a nice kid... No pictures or anything I thought I'd just kill some space and throw that in the post...

Earlier in the month for about a week I had been struggling with a high temperature, heavy congestion, nausea and incredible fatigue. At first I thought it was just a flu, but after going to the doctor, the PA said it was probably bronchitis and a sinus infection. So I took the antibiotic treatment he gave and went on my merry way. Justin fell ill the next week and when he went back to the doctor he got the same response, so being the good patient he is, he took the medicine and went on his way.. Two and a half weeks pass and we still have a lot of congestion and while I cough a lot, Justin can't hear out of an ear.. After we went to a training session with our personal trainer, Justin got very winded and light-headed. Since our doctor's office is also an emergency-physician of sorts after 5, we decided we'd head back and see if he had any suggestions. After discussing the symptoms and having the doctor check us out, he said, "well folks, the only thing I could think of it being is the fajita flu." "The what?" "Swine flu." Huh. "Yes, bronchitis is really something only smokers or people who are exposed to second-hand smoke get." (I wish he'd have told his PA that). Either way, he put us on the highest dosage of antibiotics he could find as well as inhalers. Yeah, we felt like winners. I realize that in order to truly diagnose it as that he would have to take a blood test, but I just wanted to get over whatever I had, so I took the drugs.. And am discussing a t-shirt idea with Justin saying "I survived swine flu". And that's that.... Now let me go cough on someone to see if I can pass it along.



6 comments:

Erica said...

You're the first person I know that has had the swine flu. Congratulations for the survival.

Sarah said...

oh my goodness i can't believe you had swine flu! that's quite the claim to fame!!

and i think i need a trip to new orleans soon! either that or stop looking at blogs that might have pictures of snoballs or king cakes :)

J and S Garcia said...

Actually sorry to tell ya but your doctor is not totally correct. Kids with asthma are also likely to get bronchitis.

nate_clarlaw said...

Justin & Megan -

I'm happy that we could find your blog!

We are starting up a blog for the Harrison family and are hoping to have lots of input from the cousins! Will you send me your email address (clar.law@aggiemail.usu.edu) so that we can get you an invite!

We are excited to keep in better touch with everyone!

Cheers!
Nate & Clarissa

everything pink! said...

we were just talking about Sals the other day and trying to describe it to our neighbors. just talking about it made us crave it!!

hillary and britton said...

yikes meg! The swine flu!? Well of least you've already caught, it so you don't have to do be paranoid with wet wipes every where you go