I'm a feminist and I don't feel bad saying so. I don't think it's a bad word (as the picture says), because to me it simply means someone who feels women are equal to men and that they haven't always been treated as they should. Despite what some have accused me of, I don't think I'm being denied anything by being a female, but I do feel women have been overlooked a lot in the past and that we deserve equal treatment, equal credit and equal pay. But I digress.
While I was at BYU my major was history with a minor in Women's Studies. If I could have majored in it I would, however only the minor was allowed. My eyes were opened by wonderful teachers regarding significant contributions women have made throughout history. These teachers weren't bra-burning hippies who swore against marriage, but truly righteous examples. One in particular, Kris Frederickson,was a significant example to me of what I would like to become. She was incredibly well-read and level-headed, had raised a large family and was head of the Study Abroad program in London. When she spoke of her family you knew it wasn't a distant relationship with her family, but a very personal relationship with each child and a real unity she had with her husband. She was also very serious about her study and research in European Women's History. The minor was housed in the Women's Research Institute which funded various research programs such as micro-loans for women and their benefit on the economy in India and relations between children depending on their gender. BYU has decided to close the WRI and put the minor under the Sociology. While they will still have the Emmeline Wells Grant to support the studies, I feel it wasn't given enough of a chance to survive and it is upsetting that they close it.
If there's anything I've learned about women through the gospel , it is that the most important contribution a woman can give to society is a righteous family that is proactive in their community. I see my sisters-in-law as they raise bright, loving, energetic kids who are able to recognize Jesus before the can make full sentences and I realize the bar is set high. If I'm blessed with children that will be my number 1 priority. However, I realize that I may not be able to have that blessing during this life and so I focus on what I can do without having children. I feel that the WRI could have helped recover the dignity of motherhood while still addressing what other things women can do to contribute outside of their home. I'm not saying if you don't do something other than raise your children you're a failure- not at all-- but I feel that by having a correct perspective of who we are as daughters of God with divine nature, we could help correct incorrect principles taught by far-left groups who argue for "women's rights" under false ideas and have academic proof behind it (since that's what so many people argue is fact).
Maybe I'm rambling.... I do apologize. But I feel like it was an untapped resource to help worldwide that has been cut before it reached it's prime.


1 comment:
Amen Megan. Thanks for sharing. It's very refreshing to hear your perspective.
Post a Comment