Life is dramatic on its own and I am not a big fan of drama. There's a reason I never read the Twilight series and never will. There's a reason I abhor reality TV shows (The Voice and The Sing Off being exceptions). If I want drama I can go sit in the front of our office and listen to the life stories of half of the students that come through our doors. I want to spend my time looking after the things that matter most. Do these books bring me closer to God? Do they help me improve as a daughter with a divine purpose? Do they enrich my mind or uplift me? No. I'm not saying fiction is bad. There will always be room for J.K. Rowling and Jane Austen on my shelves. But I am starting to realize the importance of chosing my entertainment wisely.
So I've decided to stick with my historical non-fiction books and Anne of Green Gables. That way I can learn of other people who did exist or at least daydream about Anne Shirley and Gilbert Blythe. I'm not writing this to appear holier than others (unless your name is Brian Garcia in which case I am holier than you). But it's just something I feel I've taken too long to realize and now that I have I want to share it. The time I have is too short for me to read novels that don't enrich me. It's too short for me to waste it on books that bring me down. There are plenty of real, live people in this world whose stories I can listen to and in so doing I could actually be a benefit for a living, breathing person. Well, other than the librarian. I think I double their pay annually because of the fees I usually have to pay.
For those who weren't able to hear Elder Ardern's talk, I highly recommend it. Here's the link for it.

6 comments:
I'm gonna tell Heavenly Father not to let you into Heaven next time we talk. That'll fix your wagon.
Love it! It's why I do not attend Book Club either. (And between you and me, do I really trust the book choices of women who gush uncontrollably about the Twilight series?!)
"...between you and me..." and everyone on the interwebs.
Blog is short for "web log," meaning everyone on the web (or internet as it is known in some circles), can see your posting and comments.
Cheers!
Ok - I just read a really tasty LDS fiction. It's called "The Book of Malchus" and it was delicious.
Also, I'm now reading "The Undaunted" by Gerald Lund. I'm sleep deprived as a result because I can't seem to put down this 800+ page behemoth long enough to snooze. It's that good.
Oh and I liked "The Help". Let your judgments fly!
Kaycee, those both seem interesting. Maybe the first more than the second, but that's just my personal taste.. And I loved The Help as well! In my opinion that is another piece of fiction that teaches. But I am still judging. ;)
Sorry Megan, I really didn't know it was going to be that depressing. I do feel like I learned more about the holocaust, but I'll agree with you that it wasn't a good book. You make me feel like (and sound like) a horrible person, when really I was just trying to get people together to chat about books that we have read...and have an excuse to socialize (which is hard, once you have kids). You can choose the next book.
-Kayla
Post a Comment