I've been slowly making my way through the New Testament recently. Today I made it to James 1. My former-missionary self automatically recited James 1:5-6 (in French, no less), and then I tried to remember some of the other versus and my mind went blank. So I began reading.
As I read, I was struck by the many ways verse 5 could be interpreted. Just prior to this verse Timothy was talking about how when we have trials, we have opportunities to develop our faith and patience and that we should be grateful for these opportunities. Maybe it's my pessimistic self, but it's hard for me to be grateful for trials. I think that's why verse 5 stuck out to me in such a different manner. I think we're not only limited to when we have a question such as "Is the Church true?" kind of questions, but also, "Why do I have to go through this?" kind of questions. Going off of the verses prior to 5 and the footnotes, I think it's equally valid to ask Heavenly Father for wisdom, understanding, and, my favorite from the footnotes, divine guidance when we go through trials. But, as verse cautions, we need to be steadfast and focused in our efforts to understand the Lord and the Spirit as He teaches us. And we must be ready and willing to act upon whatever we are counselled to do.
Continuing in the chapter I read about temptation and how temptation never comes from God because only that which is good and true comes from Him. But that temptation is Satan's way of trying to rock us at our basest insticts and desires. For example, anger doesn't come from God. Lashing out at others and ill will doesn't come from God. If we expect mercy, we need to give it, even if we don't think they deserve it. I thought of Christ throwing out the money changers from the temple. But I think that is different. He had a larger understanding than we do. If you compare it to Moses who struck the rock out of anger with the children of Israel (which is understandable to most of us), consider the consequences Moses had as a result and the blessings he missed out on. When we give in to temptation we lose sight of who we are and our eternal purpose.
Towards the end, Timothy talks about those who claim to be religious but do not change their ways. To be a "religious" person, or one changed by the Atonement of Christ, we need to turn from our previous selves. Specifically, Timothy brings up gossiping and later charity. He states that when we have a changed heart we look past others' weaknesses and faults and help them with pure charity, which is the love of Christ. We help the widows and fatherless who struggle differently than we do. We also keep ourselves away from the vices of the world which range from such serious deeds as murder or lying, to such "insignificant" deeds as the ones previously mentioned- lack of charity towards all men and gossiping.
As I was thinking about what this entire chapter meant as a whole, I went back to my new idea of verse 5. When we are going through trials and temptations, we can turn to Heavenly Father for divine guidance and understanding. Not turning to Him is foolishness on our part. But oftentimes what He will tell us is similar to what Elder Bednar told our stake in January- turn outward. It's easy to get caught up in our own world. Moreover, the world tells us that when times are difficult, we should focus on ourselves. But Christ taught us by His example on the cross itself, to turn outwards and consider others first.
Am I a living example of what James 1 says? Hardly. As several people have pointed out to me recently, I'm angry, bitter, and unpleasant to be around. (I've tried to blame it on pregnancy mood swings, but I can only blame it on those for the past two months- surprise!). But I've recently been trying to change (despite how it may seem) and I think this chapter was an answer to many prayers. I'm working on it. And while my natural tendency might be to blame it on something other than myself, my goal is to overcome the natural man as we are so strongly urged to do in the Book of Mormon and not get stuck in that basic hurdle but to move past it and try to learn from my trials.


No comments:
Post a Comment