When Justin was on the mission he caught a lot of flack because it was 2005-2007, he is from Texas AND has the last name of Bush. One ward in particular was ESPECIALLY cold towards him (it was Calais, the unofficial HQ of the communist party in France and most members were part of that political party) to the point where he asked the mission president if he could get a new nametag with the French equivelant of Bush, Buisson, printed instead of his actual last name. The mission president said he would if Justin ever got beaten up. Needless to say, he stayed Elder Bush the full two years.
When we went to have our anatomy scan/gender ultrasound we I was really nervous. I had heard of stories of non-compliant babies who don't "show the goods" and leave parents and stenographers guessing until he/she comes out. It's not that I cared whether it would be a boy or girl, I just wanted to know so I could plan ahead. And by plan ahead, I mean make seriously cute onesies and such.
So away we went to the doctor's and were quickly taken back to see. Unfortunately Justin didn't get to sit by me so I couldn't see his reactions. I was in one corner and he was sitting in the opposite corner of the room while we both looked up at the tv in the corner we both faced. I really am of the conclusion that the reason why most parents, okay, maybe just myself, cry during visits like this is because a) I'm glad I didn't do something to kill my baby and b) the nerves are too great.
The sonographer got started and to be honest, neither of us could clearly tell what we were looking at. But we saw the heartbeat and she did audio so we could hear that he has a regular heart beat (which was a concern to me since I don't). Okay, fear number 1 over. Next the sonographer began measuring the different parts of the body and labeling them for the doctor. I couldn't really tell what each was supposed to mean except for leg and arm, but whatever, there was a heartbeat.
She double checked and said, "you want to know the sex, right?" "Yep" I said and she had to work a bit for it. Eventually she got the legs to open and it seemed relatively clear what this kid would be. An awesome little boy! Needless to say, he does not take after his semi-exhibitionist maternal uncles and cousins, but that's okay. I cried a little. At first I thought it was a boy and I wanted it to be a boy. But then I thought, "But girls are really fun and cute too!" so then I wanted and thought it was a girl. The closer we got to finding out though I thought, "It's going to be a boy. Even though I kind of want a girl." Honestly, all I wanted was a healthy baby and that was good enough for me. Before the stenographer came in I made Justin give me his last-minute predictions and after I said boy he said, "well, I'll say girl. One of us has to be right then."






3 comments:
Those onesies are ADOOORABLE!!! Super excited to see what you come up with.
congratulations!! i'm so excited for you. do you have names picked out yet?
We're almost settled on names. But not 100% yet. I've had to sell the name idea to Justin which has taken some convincing (even before we became pregnant).
Post a Comment