With the impending arrival of bébé Bush, I realized that because both of us have been in our respective callings more than a year and a half, chances were that one of us would be released since they're both a little demanding (moreso on Justin's part. I love my calling as Primary President and because of my awesome counselors, it's not demanding so much). While I was sad one or both of us would be released, I was a bit relieved because between our work schedules and Justin being in school, I knew we'd need more down time to keep our wits about us.
I knew trouble was afoot though when our good friend, Napoleon Ortiz (the stake executive secretary), called Saturday night telling Justin that the stake presidency needed to speak with Justin and to bring me with him. He also said to skip ward counsel (which is always okay with me). You see, our ward has been without a fully functioning bishopric for close to a month. Our former bishop had been transferred (he works for FEMA and everyone knew he wouldn't be here very long) and one of the counselors had been out of town the last few weeks leaving one of the other counselors to serve as the acting bishop. And my dad had said we'd be getting our new bishop within a week or two. So putting two and two together, I was a bit nervous... As I should have been.
Justin was called as the second counselor in our ward's bishopric.
This is just amusing to me. What makes it even better is that the bishop isn't even 30 yet and has the face of a teenager. Luckily the other counselor is around their dads' age, so I think he'll help keep them in line... In all seriousness, I'm not too surprised about the new bishop or the other counselor. The new bishop was our Elder's Quorum president and, while quite literally a comedian, is a stellar guy. The other counselor hasn't lived here very long, but when the preisthood was assigned to help clean up after Isaac, he was out there every weekend helping. But Justin being called was a bit surprising. Not that I don't think he's amazing. He's the best guy I know! But it was still a bit funny. Looking at this picture I can't help but laugh.
| The B Bishopric and the Stake Presidency: J. Bush, D. Brown, G. Bryant, President Garcia (my dad), President Stock, President Whipple |
While I still laugh at the idea that my 26-year-old husband is now a member of the bishopric, I am reminded of the blessing I received from my mission president when I was heading home five years ago. In the blessing he said, "You will have many opportunities to share your husband with the Lord and others as he serves in various callings. Do so with a willing and happy heart." I guess I just didn't realize what that meant. I am a bit nervous to see how things will go since the phone calls started as we left church and he still has his internship, school, and we have a baby coming soon, I simply remember that blessing and the fact that the Lord knows us individually and won't give us more than we can handle


5 comments:
Isn't it crazy how things work out sometimes. In reference to your previous post too, new calling and new struggles, or stages in life always require adjustments in perspective. I think life's mantra should be, "go with the flow faithfully." Because things really do usually end up for the best when a firm faith is in the equation.
I always think it's funny when people say "congratulations" when you or your husband get a new calling...but then find that it's really the best word to express the thought. Haha. So "Congratulations!" I hope this is a wonderful experience for the both of you. No doubt you will both be blessed.
I agree with both of you! I'm trying to remind myself regularly that Heavenly Father knows what's best for our family so as long as I stay close He's got our back.
But yeah, when people say congratulations I think, "Are you crazy?" haha But... Thanks? I guess growing up in the family I did I'm used to having a dad busy with callings and not sitting with us on the stand. I'll be able to relate to my kid while this lasts.
what ward are you in??? i can empathize with you a bit on that whole joke being on you thing -- when we moved from cincinnati i was so glad that it meant scott wouldn't be the scoutmaster anymore. and then of course, we moved here and he got called to be the YM president. hahaha. so, i guess he's just supposed to be with the young men on tuesday nights. at least we know that "sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven," right? how much time do you have left until le bebe arrives?
Yeah, it's interesting how the thing we think is in our best interest doesn't end up happening. And yet it's not a bad thing. We're in the Jefferson ward. They've changed the boundaries since Katrina, so anythingin Orleans parish is the New Orleans ward and they meet Uptown. Anything in Jefferson parish (on the east bank of course) is in the Jefferson ward and meets at the Stake Center. I've got just over 6 weeks left. woohoo!
Post a Comment