Tuesday, June 4, 2013

To My NOLA Baby

Dear Atticus,

       The other day while we were hanging out in my room as I cleaned, I came to a fun realization: we're both NOLA babies. While GG came here eventually, she was born and lived in California during her earliest years, Pops is from Cuba, and don't even get me started on where your dad is from; Texas is a world of its own. But you and I, we share something special. Our birth certificates say New Orleans proper. In fact, the hospital where you were born is less than a mile and a half from where I was born.



       What's so special about this city, you may ask? I understand. Growing up, I didn't think there was anything special about New Orleans other than the fact we had Mardi Gras which, to be completely honest, gets a little old once you grow up unless you have some libations in you or are new to the area (thus Dad's fascination with it). And while you were born the day after Mardi Gras, I'd like to tell you my sweet, that New Orleans is much more than that.



       Did you know New Orleans is the birthplace of jazz music? When you were in the NICU those first few weeks your nurse said you had a particular fondness for the music of Louis Armstrong, another NOLA native. While your taste in music has certainly expanded, you still enjoy a nice jazzy tune whenever I sing to you or we listen to the radio.



       I'm sure this is no surprise to you, but New Orleans is known for its food. While I was pregnant with you, all I wanted was spicy food; no pickles and ice cream or chocolate covered weirdness. Spice was what I wanted and it was easily satiated by the myriad restaurants in the area. Lucky for you, GG is Cajun and Creole (please note my sweet, that there is a difference) and an amazing cook so you will undoubtedly taste all sorts of dishes from her kitchen. And while Cajun and Creole foods aren't all spicy, note that the spice runs in your veins. You're going to be a bit more colorful than your counterpart in other cities across America. Embrace it. It will make you charming, feisty, wise, and a lover of life.



       This city is a great representation of your heritage. The Spanish and French influences run deep and quite apparently. But the mix of other cultures has made New Orleans quite possibly one of the most foreign cities in the United States. Given that your dad and I met in Europe, the feel of this city has an especially strong pull encouraging us to stay here.

      I'm sure you'll come to a point when you want to leave. I don't blame you, I did too; that's why when GG and Pops said "UNO or BYU" I chose BYU. If you choose to go elsewhere for school, I completely understand (unless it's LSU; we're a Tulane/UNO family. Purple and gold are only acceptable if green is included). Growing up I thought New Orleans was so boring. I mean, everyone I knew was from here! There was nothing unique about being from here. As I got older, I particularly got fed up with the private school/public school issue (sorry if you want to go to a private school, but it's probably not going to happen) and the snobbery of so many people (thus my dislike of LSU as well) and what felt like the backwards thinking of so many (as you probably know by now I also lean left politically which probably didn't help the situation).

       When I went to BYU I felt like I would finally be getting more culture in my life. But boy was I mistaken. Sure, they have their own culture which is great and fine on its own, but baby boy, it's pretty white. I know your paternal grandparents are from that area and they're amazing people, but I knew something was wrong when I got near-giddy at seeing a black person on campus. Sweetheart, one of the things you will eventually learn to love the most about home is the fact that you will meet people from all sorts of backgrounds, ethnicities, and cultures, and together, their influence and the interactions you have with these people will help you become your own person.


       While New Orleans does have a bit of a reputation when it comes to crime, know that because of where you grew up, you will be more street smart because of it. It may not seem like something to brag about, but there were many times while I was out at night in Belgium that I just knew not to do certain things, avoid certain people that my companions were clueless about. I chalk this up to the fact that I was more familiar with these things than they were. Does this mean I like the crime here? Not at all. But there is always a silver lining, my dear.

       I know you will probably want to spread your wings and your horizons and explore the world around you. And I want you to do that as well. But know that deep down, you are my NOLA baby. The jazz heard downtown and the delicious food surrounding you are only parts of what make you what you are.

       And never ever forget; it is ALWAYS okay to cheer for the Saints.

 
 

6 comments:

Kaycee said...

I love this. Can we print it and frame it and hang it everywhere?

Unknown said...

Megan, this is beautiful! He will appreciate it one day just like I have today!

Anonymous said...

Love,love your take on New Orleans. I was just having a conversation with a group of Mississippians about how they dislike New Orleans. You can't fully explain the greatness of this city until you have explored it. I tell ya, there is nothing like being from New Orleans. Great stuff Megan.

Charly said...

Beautiful post!

Aleta said...

I'm a NOLA baby too, but my baby is a Metairie baby. Close enough ? We have lots of Baby Saints and LSU cloths, can't wait for the games :) Nice to meet another NOLA Blogger :)

Maria said...

Hi Megan, I just wanted to touch base with you and let you know we have a NOLA blogger network if you are interested in being a part of. I can give you more info if you would like to contact me. We would love to support your blog and get to know you and your site. Have a great day! Email is BloggingBabiesandtheBayou@gmail.com or find me on twitter @jeffmarias2001